Sunday, March 25, 2012

Recent Projects

I've been doing a LOT of sewing lately :) I'm sooo close to opening my Etsy shop, just working on finishing up all the things I want to have done when I open it.  There are lots more pictures to take and writing descriptions for everything as well. And so many more idea's already flying through my head that I want to make to sell too, I guess I'll be keeping myself quite busy. The house is a mess, we ate out for brunch Saturday and then ordered pizza and salad for dinner, sooo... yeah, you could say I've been living in the sewing room and slightly neglecting everything else. (we hardly ever eat out or order pizza...haha...yeah) All of my items that are custom, or will be on Etsy get packaged with a coordinating satin ribbon, tied up with twine, and have a special homemade tag so they arrive looking spiffy.



So... whats been getting stitched? Well, lots of fun things! I just finished packaging up a really fun custom order and it is ready to get dropped off on Monday.


The order included two onesies. One with a custom iron on graphic and the other with a custom applique of his name. She cose some of my favorite aqua and red fabrics. How cute are these!! 


And also a magnetic alphabet set in aqua and brown. (So much more fun than the little plastic ones.) I made a little matching window pouch to hold them all. Ahhh I just love these!

The lady that ordered these had seen the letters I made a few months ago for the little boy I nanny. His are in fun aqua and green fabrics. They have batting in them to help make them stiff and magnets sandwiched in the middle to stick to the fridge. Lesson learned the hard way: magnets only stick on one side, so don't sew them in upside down :) 


Speaking of fun with letters, I made a baby blanket for our nephew Gunnar recently too. Its cotton striped on the front, a fun flannel on the back, thick cozy batting, and satin binding around the edges. 

Friday night I decided to finally make myself a new bible bag. It has a  fun coordinating lining inside, batting to make it thick, and its hard to see but I also quilted it. (The stitching in a lime green color around the shapes on the fabric.  It gives it texture instead of  just a flat piece of fabric.) 


Here it is outside where there is better lighting. 


In February I took a class to learn how to do the free motion quilting like I did on my bible bag. It basically like drawing on fabric with a sewing machine. (Sign me UP!) But I realized I couldn't go to a 3 day class without something to carry all the supplies I would need. And being a sewing class, I couldn't just throw everything in a plastic bag! no... This was an excuse to make a fun carry tote with lots of clear window pockets out of this really yummy quilt shop fabric I had recently found :) 


And I needed something to hold my thread and bobbins right? Well  what a good excuse to make a fun window zipper pouch! I mean, I wouldn't want to just use a zip lock bag... haha... I know, I've got issues I guess. 


Then the thought crossed my mind that I might need something for all my thread ends and such. Who knows how far away the garbage can would be... well, I guess I better make something for that too. Or maybe I was just having too much fun with this awesome fabric... yeah that's probably more like it. 


Last fall I made some darling little mary-jane shoes for a friend's little baby girl. One pair is white courderoy with gray and white polka doted satin inside and the other was black and pink coordinating flannel. Eeeeeee.... I love baby shoes!! 


I made a lap quilt with soft flannel on the back for a very sweet lady in our Sunday morning meeting. When life is hard and you are put through health situations that you would never chose for yourself, it's easy to use them as an excuse to complain a lot and be in a bad mood. This lady is has every excuse, and yet I've only ever seen her smile and say positive things when I ask her how she is doing. She can't walk on her own without falling, she can't hardly see, and she's very feeble yet 2 years ago when Chad and I told her we were going to get married, she immediately said she wanted to help with whatever she could. I went home and cried. Someday I hope to be as strong and as full of love as this lady. So I decided to make her a lap quilt. I needed to do something to pass a little bit of love onto her. Something to make her smile.  


All bundled up.


Recently I saw something about a "relax" bottle for kids as an alternative to a time out. I made one for someone per request after mentioning it and wondering if it would work. The idea is that they sit and shake the bottle and watch the glitter inside settle. They can't get up until it does and instead of making them more mad because they got put in a time out, it gives them something to concentrate on and change their focus to, while relaxing their brain. I'm anxious to hear how well it works! Here is the one I made, cap is gorilla glued on so it won't come off, Thomas the train stickers, teal glitter inside, a fun fabric top, all ready to go! 


So as you can see, I have been busy lately and thoroughly enjoying it :) These are the projects I've been doing in between the stuff I'm making for Etsy! As soon as I take pictures outside, I'll post one of two matching quilts I'm making for the guest room. (I'm saving the rest of the second quilt until next winter... I needed a break after probably close to 50 hours spent so far) I also made a fun birthday present for my niece in San Diego but I can't post pictures of that until I know she got the package... don't want to spoil the surprise.  

4 comments:

  1. You are sooo crafty, and never stop! Fun to see all the pics, can't wait to see what you put on etsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey don't make fun of our zip lock bags!!! Some of us cannot sew! I am almost done with my blog post.....i promise! Those magnats look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I need you close by for motivation alone!!!! Love it!!!!! All so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you need to post the link to the etsy site. I have to keep going to lisa's blog to get to it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!! Its always fun to see who's reading my blog ;)